Tuesday, May 20, 2014

SECRETS TO BECOMING A GREAT LEADER AT WORK

Smart, successful female execs share their killer career secrets.

1. Stand up for yourself.


"My first job was as a management trainee for a big advertising agency. On the second day, the head of HR called in all the female employees. As she talked about serving coffee, I saw the meeting was all secretaries and receptionists, so I tried to scoot out. She said harshly, "Where are you going, young lady? Sit right down." I sat through the rest of the meeting and then went to the bathroom and cried. But then, I dried my tears and went to the president of the agency and asked if I'd misunderstood my job. He told me HR had made the mistake and I would never have to go to one of those meetings again. Because of that day, he became a lifelong mentor and I learned to always take charge of my own career." - Lisa Cochrane, SVP marketing, Allstate Insurance Company


2. Know your value.


"When I was starting out, my firm's managing director asked if I would help him on a project that would mean many late nights. I said yes, but could he compensate me? He said he'd pay for a night out for me and boyfriend after the project. Coworkers gave me a hard time. But the top guy told them it was fabulous that I'd been bold and knew what my time was worth." - Christine Osekoski, publisher, Fast Company


3. Have a champion.
 

"Find an advocate early on. I did, and it helped me build my confidence and grow as a leader. To attract an advocate, look for chances to make connections. You might be scurrying around getting your job done, but make sure you also get out there and meet people. And make the most of every assignment. I recently asked someone at work to do a small a small task, but she came back with much more than I'd asked for. I saw how much she cares and was impressed!" - Kirsten Flanik, managing director, BBDO ad agency


4. Let one person you trust be brutally honest with you.


"Allowing yourself to be bluntly told you are mistaken is a hard-earned skill. If I want my husband's opinion, I get it. I may not always agree with his opinions and may not finally act on them, but I know that his advice is clean of any motive or interest other than mine." - Linda Boff, executive director, Global Brand Marketing, General Electric


5. Keep a sense of humor.


"My group was late on something, so I sent an e-mail to my team saying, 'we don't miss deadlines, what's the status? Who's in charge?' Someone — mistakenly — hit Reply All saying, 'She's on fire today!' I thought, 'You guys messed up and I'm on fire?' I replied, 'You better find a fire extinguisher.' I can be tough and know when to laugh." - Kim Kadlec, WW VP, Global Marketing Group, Johnson & Johnson


6. Think outside the box.


"After two and a half years in my last role, I outlined my ideal next job: using my knowledge of what our shoppers like in order to develop new relationships with vendors. My boss said, 'But that job doesn't exist.' I said, 'You're right. Can it?' She tried to sell me on other options, but I stuck to my guns. I thought, Go for it or go home! After two months, she made it happen. That's the job I have today."
-Shawn Outler, GVP, multicultural vendor development, leased businesses and vendor collaboration, Macy's


7. Create your own board of directors.


"Companies have boards that advise them, so I have my own personal board of directors I consult with on major decisions. When I first had the offer from Facebook, I looked to them. They supported my decision to leave Microsoft for Facebook and advised me on the transition. I'm fortunate that they care so deeply." - Carolyn Everson, VP Global Marketing Solutions, Facebook

 

No comments:

Post a Comment